CNN.com - Politics

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

RFK's Rolling Stone article: Was the 2004 Election Stolen?

Just a real quick post on an article I found from the June 1 2005 issue of Rolling Stone which I have come upon rather belatedly -- that's what I get for falling out of the loop for a year. The article, written by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., affirms my belief -- one that I have held for a year and a half, since November 2nd, 2004 -- that the 2004 presidential election was corrupt, especially in my new home of Ohio. The article is well-researched and supported by various investigations before it. One section really caught my eye, dealing with an investigation done by Rep. John Conyer's, one of Michigan's representitives and one of my favorite homestate polititcians:

The most extensive investigation of what happened in Ohio was conducted by Rep. John Conyers, the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee.(52) Frustrated by his party's failure to follow up on the widespread evidence of voter intimidation and fraud, Conyers and the committee's minority staff held public hearings in Ohio, where they looked into more than 50,000 complaints from voters.(53) In January 2005, Conyers issued a detailed report that outlined ''massive and unprecedented voter irregularities and anomalies in Ohio.'' The problems, the report concludes, were ''caused by intentional misconduct and illegal behavior, much of it involving Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell.''(54)

''Blackwell made Katherine Harris look like a cupcake,'' Conyers told me. ''He saw his role as limiting the participation of Democratic voters. We had hearings in Columbus for two days. We could have stayed two weeks, the level of fury was so high. Thousands of people wanted to testify. Nothing like this had ever happened to them before.''


Anyways, just thought I'd share that. Now back to sorting through the news today.

Peace.

EDIT 6-8-06: Well, turns out I made an error because my source was wrong. The article is from the June 01 2006 issue of Rolling Stone. Makes more sense as to why I've just now come across it. I was out of the loop, but I didn't think I had been that out of the loop. Turns out I was right. Makes me feel better about being able to do this.

The other addendum I wished to make to this post was this. It's a Salon.com article by Farhad Manjoo which counters Kennedy's. Farhad Manjoo also wrote a another piece on the 2004 exit polls last year. Both make for excellent reading.

No comments: