CNN.com - Politics

Friday, August 31, 2007

Rez, Plz (Or "How I Learned to Stop Slacking and Love the Blog")

It has been a long year since I last touched this blog, and during the time... well, little has changed about me. Eight months of democratic rule in Congress has done little that I had hoped, but hey, at least we have a minimum wage hike, right?

One year of silence, a communications blackout from the twisted genius that authored this blog only to let it fall before it could truly be established. My sounding board for my insanity, home to my outrage, core of my hope for the future. The place where I wax poetic about the corrupt realm of politics ("many blood-sucking insects").

But no more. I have said it before, but this time I mean it: never shall I fall silent again, lest the grave take me from this world. Even then, I would hope there would be a meaningful message in the end of my time on this Earth. But let us not speak of such depressing possibilities. There is much afoot that needs addressing, many wrongs which need righting.


I guess it strikes me at how sad it is that the Republican Party is so full of closeted homosexuals at the top. Strange to ponder how a person could be a gay Republican and be accepted by the party, so long as they follow the subtle (or often times not-so-subtle) anti-gay party agenda set by the leadership. The hypocrisy required is just staggering, and it makes you wonder why these men just don't come clean about who they are instead of trying to maintain an unhealthy lifestyle in the closet, soliciting sex from strangers in public restrooms.

The Craig situation both sickens me and excites me. It is sickening in the way the G.O.P. calls for his head and forces him out of his position for something as personal as his sexual orientation. There's nothing wrong with homosexuality that I can identify, and I believe that they should leave his sexual preference out of things. So he was busted for trying to hook up with a stranger in an airport restroom. What the hell are they doing wasting police resources trying to catch gay people, not in the act, but in the attempt to even make contact. I would call that entrapment, as he didn't commit any lewd acts to be charged with.

On the other hand, it's exciting that Democrats might have a chance in Idaho because of this. Not necessarily because of Craig being gay, but because of his impending resignation and the flaws of his potential replacements. Idaho Republicans could very well slaughter each other in the primary for the seat, just because there are more Republican politicians in Idaho than positions they could possibly fill without engorging the size of the state government.

I feel good about our chances in an Idaho Senate race for a change, and may well be contributing to Larry LaRocco's campaign this cycle.


Speaking of campaign contributions, I'm seriously considering making a contribution to Senator Obama's campaign for the presidency, and I'm also considering small contributions to Gary Peters for MI-09 and Mark Shauer in MI-07. Chances are that I'll be living in one of those two districts when I move back up to Michigan in early November, and I would like to do my part to secure Congress out of Republican hands.


Which reminds me. I'm moving back up to Michigan from Dayton, OH. The move isn't finalized yet, but it will be happening before the year is out, probably in early November as stated above. If you need to be in the know, you will be. If not, you can find out the details after the fact.


That's all for now. I'll be back, I promise.

No comments: